Potential EIFD Funded Infrastructure Projects
EIFDs are designed to fund a wide and diverse variety of community infrastructure projects. Feedback from stakeholder interviews conducted by CCRP highlighted that property owners in the proposed EIFD area are interested in infrastructure development which supports both private and public partnerships. Feedback gleaned from these stakeholder interviews and through discussions with other stakeholders illustrated a demand for infrastructure development which supports, among others:
- Coastal dependent industries and aquaculture projects to aid in the development of existing and growing industries on the Samoa Peninsula.
- Green energy projects which align with local and state goals for energy resiliency, innovation, and independence, and which align with climate change mitigation strategies, including sea level rise and tsunami mitigation as well as earthquake and fire mitigation.
- Renewable energy opportunities such as solar projects and emerging value-added forest product industries, such as torrefied pellet and mass timber manufacturers, that increase the demand for and market value of small diameter timber and biomass in order to fuel forest thinning, reduce risks to communities from overstocked forests, and combat climate change by sequestering carbon.
- Planning, building, zoning, and permitting activities for ongoing and new development projects.
The governing body of the proposed EIFD would undertake a series of public hearings to gather and consider public input on an infrastructure financing plan, which would aim to provide the infrastructure necessary to promote coastal dependent economic development, with additional opportunities to enhance the lives of residents and small businesses through other capital projects. For example, the EIFD could fund projects related to broadband and internet connectivity which would have a direct positive impact on small businesses and neighborhoods. Similarly, infrastructure projects which enhance quality of place and quality of life, such as recreational improvements, trail facilities, etc. may also be funded through the EIFD.
Authorized Public Facilities
A list of authorized public facilities for financing can be found in the Resolution of Intent, Page 6, EXHIBIT B
- Samoa Township
- International Broadband Infrastructure (Article)
- Offshore Wind Energy
- Nordic Aquafarms