Project Trellis Local Equity Program
The Project Trellis Local Equity Program’s goal is to implement the recommendations set forth in the Humboldt County Cannabis Equity Assessment. Pursuant to the Equity Assessment, certain populations and neighborhoods, particularly small growers, and those effected by past policies, while participating in the cannabis industry, were negatively impacted. The Program implements the State of California and County of Humboldt’s legislative goals to further equity among those impacted by the criminalization of cannabis
Project Trellis Local Equity Program will be rolled out in two phase V1.0 using grant funding from the Bureau of Cannabis Control, and V2.0 using grant funding from the Governor's Office of Business. The County of Humboldt Economic Development Office is currently preparing to administer Local Equity Program V1.0. Please see below for more information.
Project Trellis Local Equity Program V1.0
The Project Trellis Local Equity Program V1.0 implements the recommendations set forth in the Humboldt County Cannabis Equity Assessment (2019) and utilizes the eligibility and services of the Local Equity Program Manual V1.0 (2019). The Program implements the State of California and County of Humboldt’s legislative goals to further equity among those impacted by the criminalization of cannabis.
The Program is governed by the County of Humboldt’s Ordinance 2623, Resolution 19-23 and 19-24, applicable guidelines of the Bureau of Cannabis Control (“BCC”) and the California Cannabis Equity Act of 2018, and other applicable local and state laws and regulations.
Submission deadline for all applications is 5pm PST on Friday, March 19, 2021.
Applications will be available online starting at 8am PST on Friday, January 29, 2021. To apply online proceed to Apply button below. Hard copies are available upon request by contacting Peggy Murphy at (707) 599-0125. Details of the application process are below in the Application Process section.
Estimated Program Funding
$1,204,814.82. The County of Humboldt Office of Economic Development is administering the Local Equity Program Version 1.0 through grants received from the BCC. The total allocation from the BCC for this round of equity grants is $1,204,814.82. Grant funds will be used to supply services to those meeting eligibility criteria, as defined in the Humboldt County Local Equity Program Manual (2019) (“Manual”). Eligible equity applicants may qualify to apply for up to $10,000 per service, unless otherwise stated.
As defined by the Manual, to be eligible for funding, applicants must meet one of the following primary qualifications to become eligible for consideration for LEP funding and services:
- Any individual and/or entity that has obtained or applied for a permit (either temporary or permanent), and the permit is for a business located in an area in Humboldt County with a poverty rate of 17% or above.
- Have engaged in or are currently engaged in small-scale cultivation of cannabis on property in Humboldt County owned, leased, or with the express permission of the owner, with a cultivation area less than 10,000 square feet;
- Any woman, person of color, or LGBTQ individual who has or worked in, or currently works in the cannabis industry in Humboldt County;
- Any individual who has obtained or applied for a cannabis permit in Humboldt County, or who has worked in or currently works in the cannabis industry, and was arrested and/or convicted of a non-violent cannabis-related offense, or was subject to asset forfeiture arising from a cannabis-related event;
- Are a person who experienced sexual assault, exploitation, domestic violence, and/or human trafficking while participating in the cannabis industry.
- Have become homeless or suffered a loss of housing as a result of marijuana enforcement.
For those who do not meet the primary qualifications set forth above, applicants may still become eligible for consideration for funding and services if they meet THREE of the following alternative qualifications:
- Are one of the following:
- An individual permitted for, seeking a permit for or employment in a Humboldt County permitted cannabis business;
- A board member of a non-profit cannabis business;
- Have a membership interest in a cannabis business formed as a cooperative per B&P Code section 26220 - 26231.2.
- Have resided in Humboldt County for at least five years during the period 1971 – 2016;
- Have obtained or applied for, or intend to apply for, a permit or zoning clearance for commercial cannabis activities in Humboldt County;
- Have lived within a 5-mile radius of the location of raids conducted by the Campaign Against Marijuana Planting (“CAMP”) program;
- Household income below the California poverty level;
- Have a parent, sibling or child who was arrested for or convicted of the sale, possession, use, manufacture or cultivation of cannabis (including as a juvenile);
- Can reasonably demonstrate that, on the basis of equity, applicant was adversely impacted as a result of the criminalization of cannabis (i.e. the War on Drugs).
Apply online (Preferred): If possible, please apply via the online application form. Applications should be submitted electronically. Applications are to be submitted electronically through the online application form found via the Apply Online button at the bottom of this page. Electronic attachment formats accepted are: PDF, JPEG, of PNG.
Apply via email: In the case that an applicant is unable to use the online application form, a PDF download of the application is available in the program documents section below. The completed application can be returned via email, including all required attachments, to email@example.com. Attachment formats accepted are: PDF, JPEG, of PNG.
Apply via hard copy: In the case that an equity applicant does not have the ability or access to apply online, hard copies will be accepted. A hard copy can be requested by contacting Peggy Murphy at (707) 599-0125. Hard copies can be mailed or delivered to the County of Humboldt County Administrative Office’s Office of Economic Development, Attn: Peggy Murphy, 520 E Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
Only complete applications, including all required attachments, received or postmarked no later than 5pm, Friday, March 19, will be considered.
Applications may be subject to public disclosure pursuant to the California Public Records Act.
All applications and supporting documents will be reviewed by County of Humboldt Economic Development Staff to ensure applicant meets eligibility criteria. Some projects may receive a lower amount than was requested, based on availability of funds, or needs of services. A typical approval process can take 60 or more days from the time of application. Upon approval the applicant will receive a notice of award, contract, fund request form, and W9 form.
Submission of an application in no way obligates the County of Humboldt to award a grant and the County of Humboldt reserves the right to reject any or all applications, wholly or in part, at any time, without penalty.
For More Information
With specific questions about applications contact Peggy Murphy via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (707) 599-0125.
- Local Equity Program V1.0 NOFA
- Local Equity Program Manual (LEP)
- Cannabis Equity Assessment (CEA)
- Local Equity Program Definitions and Poverty Levels
- Project Trellis Local Equity Program V1.0 Eligibility Application PDF @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>